Peddles, Seats,Tilt Hood, Trunk and Fenders

Making progress.  I had had to move the peddles forward about 6″. This meant eliminating the brake booster and getting a different peddle assembly. Peddles are very close as the foot well narrows the farther up you go but at least now I can straighten my legs.

After that, I worked on the seats. I had to make them slightly narrower and I shortened them by 8″. I also added a seat track to the drivers side and mounting brackets for passenger seat.

As any builder who is building a car you look for inspiration from other builders.  I saw a car that basically tilted the entire hood forward and then decided to join my front cowl and the hood I had fabricated from scratch as one piece and then hinge it so it would open as one piece.  This involved temporarily fastening them together and then joining them together using a cardboard beam that was then covered with fiberglass to make a structural component.  After assembling them, it was time to move on to the body work to cover up the raw fiberglass.

I also needed to make a grill for the front.  I fabricated one out of 1/4″ rod and 3/16″ rod for the horizontal bars.

Next I needed to build a frame for the trunk. Although it will be small, it will at least provide someplace to store my stuff.  It is always nerve racking welding over a gas tank.  I covered the gas tank with wet towel but that did not always work.  At one point I smelled something burning and it was a corner of the towel that had dried out.  Glad that part is over.

And I was able to finish welding the rear fenders (with some help from Brian). Still need to do some work but just getting them set was a challenge.

Still to do.  Fabricate the back half of the body work, top for dash, windshield, lights front fenders, upholstery, interior and a whole lot of other stuff.

Dash, exhaust, fenders and seats

Finished the sheet metal on the interior, got muffler and reworked exhaust. Started fender fabrication by figuring how much I had to widen them. Also the racing seats were just not going to work so managed to get two Diablo seat shells from a friend. A little fiberglass work and they fit.



The S2000 exhaust would not work for this car. I cut everything off at the header and fabricated new headers into a 3.5″ collector. I simply routed it out the side. Will add a muffler in the future.  Was able to salvage the heat shield for the headers (not shown in the pictures)

20160304_084817 20160304_115807 20160304_115814

Engine In

Finally got the engine mounted, all brake lines, clutch lines, fuel lines, emergency brake are installed. Still need a couple radiator fittings before that can be checked off.  Did get body panels mounted as well. Still need to fabricate hood that will clear engine. Oh, yes, just a few wiring issues to resolve.

20151121_120518 20151121_121157 20151121_115901 20151121_115931 20151121_120153 20151121_120204 20151121_120219 20151121_120013

Fantastic Yellow Diablo now on the market for only $45K!

This beautiful Diablo is located in Ramona, California.


You can read all the details here

Diablo details

Body Panels (made from fleece) and Floors

As mentioned in previous posts, I wanted to do a little something different from the pop riveted aluminum panels on the side. I heard that you could use fleece stretched over a frame and then covered with resin, you could make a shape. Then add layers of fiberglass cloth to build up the panel.

20150702_141625I started by building a frame with a body line that I could use.  I then covered the frame with regular fleece (you know like sweatshirt material). I used heavy duty cord to stretch it tight in all directions.


Next I soaked the fleece with fiberglass resin. and then applied two layers of fiberglass cloth.




20150711_14171520150711_14173820150712_113731 End result was a removable panel that will be finished with body filler for the final shape.





Next It was time to paint the chassis.20150925_111718 20150925_123845 20150925_123807


After paint, time to make a template for the floors, Mark the aluminum, trial fit and then pop rivet in place. I know have floors.

20150926_111216 20150926_115819 20150926_125406 20150927_121545







Fantastic Diablo Roadster for Sale $60K – SOLD!


A friend of mine is selling his Diablo Roadster. This is a fantastic car with LS1 engine on a replica chassis. Car is currently on eBay for $60K.  This car was originally listed for well over $100K

eBay sale is closed but if you want more detail, see

California Diablo

eBay listing